Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Getting on the road


I guess we are really going! Only 2 days away, and this trip is just now seeming real to me. Bonnie gets all the credit for starting the bike rolling, so to speak. It was her brain-child early last winter. She put out an email invite to the 10 folks who went to Moab last year to join in. Seems nothing could compare to Moab ... there were no takers ... well, except me.
So, we decided to do it!
We are set to depart from Portland at 7:30am. My SUPER friend ELLEN will take us to the otherwise unknown town of McGowan, Washington, which can only be known as the spot ... and I mean SPOT ... at the north side of the Astoria Bridge.
We are not yet sure how we will get across and have Ellen arrive back at the car, we are planning on taking her riding with us across that awesome and expansive bridge. I guess she might trek back across alone, if she's comfortable doing that; it takes a strong cyclist to siddle up next to the fast paced traffic there. Alone would be harder yet. Bonnie and I will be anxious to move on down the trail, but I wouldn't mind dropping Ellen and Bonnie at the Washinton side, driving to the Oregon side and riding the bridge myself to our starting point where they would be waiting. In fact I think that's what I will advocate.
Today I still have to get ready. I not only have things to pack, but I have a garden and yard that need more tending before I go. So much to do ...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck! be careful...don't get hit by a truck.

Unknown said...

Hope you get a good sleep and are well rested when you start out. Like Amanda said, don't get hit by a truck.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey, hope you guys are able to make it to your hotel tonight and that you had a smooth ride. Can't wait to see your next posting. Don't forget to send pictures. :)
You ROCK!!

thegarciafamily said...

great to see you two awesome women off on the start of this journey...thanks for including me. can't wait to hear about more of your adventures.